Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Facts...

Running seems simple enough. Pick up your legs and go. Right? Wrong! I just read a fact that states that LESS than 1/2 of a percent will ever finish a marathon! LESS THAN 1/2 OF A PERCENT. That is staggering numbers. Numbers that make this little goal of mine seem somewhat impossible. I keep saying the statistic in my head, over and over again. The reoccurring theme of "what am I doing?" also leaves a sting in my head. Really people, what am I doing? I am not half of a percent. No way Jose! But if I spent $100 to run this dumb thing, you bet I am going to finish it. I HATE wasting money, so if I have to crawl across the finish I will.

Less than half of one percent...WOW!

The facts of marathon running are quite eye opening. But what is more jaw dropping and heart aching are the facts of Christianity in our world as well as destructive behavior that is happening in these so called Christian homes. I could go on and on with numbers and statistics but here are a few that stuck out to me:

1. 171,000 Christians are martyred for their faith each year. That is more then seven times the number of students at Washington State.

2. In America, 75% call themselves Christians.

3. A woman is beaten every 15 seconds.

4. 1 in 13 Americans abuse alcohol everyday.

What are we doing as Christians? The first fact is a fact that makes it very clear, that we as Christians in America are living a life far less scary then those Christians around the world. But the three following facts are facts we must question. If so many of us are Christians, why are so many of us getting/afflicting abuse? Using alcohol to calm our hearts? What does being a Christian mean, if we as Americans, are living like this?

It says very clearly in the Bible being a Christian, is laying down our life to live the life that Christ has planned for us. To recognize that Christ died on the cross so we could live eternal life in Heaven. He died so our hearts and souls could be cleansed for our time here on earth.
Do you believe that? Are you calling yourself a Christian, but don't believe in Christ's death for our own lives? It is a question we must face. Christ is ready to meet us, at any point in our life. You don't have to do a certain thing or become a certain person, to be able to look up to Heaven and ask for Christ to come into our life. Its not our job to change our heart, Christ promised to do that.

I'm not quite sure where I am trying to go in this post. But I know these facts made me open my eyes. Are they opening your eyes? For what reason?

I love you...but Christ loves you more.

No comments:

Post a Comment