Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My home girl...

I consider myself extremely lucky. I have the best girlfriends in the world. The type of girlfriends that would stop anything just to come and give me a hug (trust me I know this, it's happened). The type of friends that have dance parties with me just for the laughs. The type of friends that will cart you around, just to make sure you are having a good time. The type of friends who are utterly and completely just as screwed up as I am. The type of friends who are also crazy enough to run for "fun". My girlfriends are the best friends anyone can have.

But there is one; one home girl that has stolen my heart. And you know what, I don't really want it back. She can have it. She has been caring it now for almost 21 years. That home girl of course is my sister, Kaitlyn Elizabeth Albrecht. Her name is almost as beautiful as she is. Katie and I have been through horrible disasters and have seen God's plan rule out in our lives. She and I have gotten in brutal fights and have made each other laugh until we cry. I often force Katie to car dance and she often forces me to take a really hard look at what I am truly feeling. She is the ying to my yang, the peanut butter to my jelly, the lint to my belly button...okay okay you get it.

Katie is the runner in our family. She was granted the non-waddle run. When she runs it's like a gazelle. I have yet to convince her to be crazy and run "the distance" but one day she will. I just know it.
Katie's run with God has been inspiring to watch. With everything imaginable holding her down, with satan screaming in her ear to turn towards him, Katie has preserved and run towards Christ. Despite sickness, death and unfair situations, Katie has turned her eyes to Heaven and prayed, knowing with full confidence that the Lord was hearing her prayers.
Today, Jordan Hightower is giving her baby sister's eulogy. The thought of that makes me literally shake at that unthinkable task. Jordan and Molly have inspired me to be a better sister. Katie deserves one. She is my best friend and confidant. She is my car dancing, Jesus lovin' home girl.
I love you Kaitlyn "A-little-bit". I see Jesus in you. Thanks for being my main home girl...
Lord, thank you for my friends. Thank you for the light they all shine and how they run with intensity toward You. Thank you for my sister, one of the loves of my life. In her I see life, my mom and You. Thank you Jesus for Katie. Protect her today, tomorrow and everyday. Watch after her and guide her steps. Help me, Jesus, be a better sister. Lord help her keep running toward You. Thank you Lord for my baby sister. Amen

2 comments:

  1. I love you Shelbs! You brought tears to my eyes. You are an amazing person and I couldn't think of having anyone else as my sister and friend. I thank you for being there with me through the good and bad, you mean so much to me. Love you lots!
    -your little sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is precious Shelby-Katie is a treasure and so are you!

    ReplyDelete