Monday, July 25, 2011

Matthew Monday!

It is already Monday again? I guess time flies when you are having fun right? This one is a shorter one but JUST as powerful!

Hereeeeeeee weeeeee gooooooo......!

Matthew 8: 18-22

What:

-There was a crowd around Jesus
-When he saw this he gave commands to cross to the other side of the lake
-A teacher of the law told Jesus that he would follow him wherever he goes
-Jesus told the man:
-Foxes have holes
-Birds have nests
-But the Son of Man has no where to lay his head
-A disciple came to Jesus and told him he needed to first bury his father
-Then Jesus said "Follow me and let the dead bury their own dead."

So what:

-The passage before this one there Jesus performs miracles.
-A teacher of the law was someone who was well versed in the OT and who were looked upon for scriptural traditions.
-"The Son of Man" was used 81 times in the Gospels and was considered Jesus' "favorite" term for himself. No one used the term but Jesus himself.
-"dead bury the dead" meant let the spiritually dead bury the physically dead. The time of Jesus ministry was short and because of that demanded full commitment. Jesus asking him to follow him now and not after the burial of his father stressed the importance of his ministry over the Jewish significance of children burring their parents.

Now what:

-What am I putting in first place in my life that I need to give to the Lord, so that not only He can take control of it, but so that he will be number one in my life?
-There are things in my life, Some idols that I have struggled with ever since becoming a Christian and some that I never knew I had an issue with, that sneak into that first place in my life. Things that can be good, and things that can be destructive. But isn't everything destructive when it is taking the number one spot in your life? I think so. I am a Jesus follower FIRST, then everything else comes after that. EVERYTHING!
-There are certain seasons in my life when I don't struggle with this as much as I do in other seasons. The seasons that I do struggle with this, are dark and at times scary. I try to reach for Jesus but there is a spiritual war going on. It is only because of the hope that Christ brings me, he is able to pull me out of that pit.

Do you struggle with this? How can I pray for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment