Monday, May 10, 2010

Kirkland Half Marathon

The night before the half marathon I thought to myself, "I have done this three times before, this is easy, I will sleep so well tonight." Did that happen? NO! Ugh! Slept horrible, alarm blaring at 5:45; Got up, changed, breakfast and then got loaded into the car. Off to Kirkland we went. I love when AA comes with, that way I don't have to worry about parking, directions, ect. It was cold that morning and I was worried I should have worn pants. But, there was no second guessing myself now, too late!

At about 7:25am I kissed AA goodbye and lined up. I looked down at one point before the horn went off and what did I see? Bare feet. BARE FEET PEOPLE! EWWW! I looked at the guy like he was crazy...because he was! It grossed me out so much I had to move spots...couldn't look at those feet anymore! The horn went off, I waved to AA right after the start line, put my head down and started running. I knew this was going to be a hilly course, but was still hoping to beat 2 hours.

When I say hilly I am not joking. I knew that we were going to climb for 7 miles. I just kept telling myself, "just get to 7 miles and that it is all down hill." Every corner we turned it was a new hill, some short, some steep, some so long you couldn't see the top. At mile 2 Aunt Laura passed me, I kept her in sight for about 4 miles, then she was off. People were walking up the hills, but I kept plugging along, sometimes only going as fast running as the people walking, but I knew I did not want to walk. At mile 4ish, this women got right in front of me on a hill, which was fine with me. Her and I both knew I wasn't going to pass her anytime soon. I watched her feet as we both climbed the particular mountain, I mean hill. When we got to the top and I thought I could breathe again, I looked up. Do you know what her shirt said? "You are stronger then you think you are." Wow! Tears came to my eyes. Was that needed or what! I wanted to stop her right then and there and give her a hug. Then I remembered that if anyone tried to stop and give me a hug while I was running I would deck 'em. So I just kept running. She stayed in front of me almost the whole race. We would trade positions and the Lord knew when to put her in front of me so I could read the back of her shirt.

At around mile 4.5 I said to myself "I am never doing this dumb race again!" That message pretty much stayed with me the rest of the way. Uphill all the way is well uhmmm...HARD! At mile 7 I thought I would see AA. I needed to see him. I was hungry and needed GU. Mile 7, no AA. Mile 8, no AA. We were going downhill and flat for this part of the race so I wasn't entirely angry that I wasn't seeing him. At mile 9 and 10 when there was no AA I was worried I wouldn't have enough energy to get to the finish line. Then just as God heard my call I looked up. There was a women pushing her children in her BOB stroller. In a bright pink shirt, the back read, "I can do all things, through Christ, who strengthens me." WAHOOOO! That was a boost. As I passed her I yelled out "I LOVE YOUR SHIRT!" She told me thanks and God bless. Wow, thank you Jesus!

Finally I saw AA. I slurped down a GU and some water and was off to the finish. I checked my watch and sub 2 hours was still possible if I picked it up a little. The at mile 11 the hills started again. I turned a corner at one point, saw and hill and literally yelled out loud! The volunteer who was there looked me dead in the eye and told me I was almost done. He was right. At mile 12 I checked my watch and realized that sub 2 hours wasn't possible. I got a little sad but realized that this course was the hardest course I have ever ran and the fact that I was going to PR was an accomplishment in and of it self.

I crossed the finish line at 2 hours, 3 minutes and 7 seconds. I had a great time, even though I was by myself. This was the first half I had done without KB. I felt like I was missing something the whole morning and the fact of the matter was, I was missing girls. Oh how I love those girls.

Thank you Jesus for an amazing race. Lord thank You for giving me strength, funny moments, women that encouraged me with their shirts and most of all for the reminder that You are in control. Lord thank You for AA's support and love. Lord I love You!

Here are some pictures from the race!

Mile 10...finally AA finds me!

Do you see that girl in the teal tank? Well let me tell you about her. I chased her down for two hours! She was in front of me the whole way, and then with .20 miles left, I passed her. I PASSED HER! Then even before I knew what was happening, she saw the finish, put her jet boosters in and passed me at the last minute! UGH!

Done! YAY!

"Uhmmm AA, please come and save me. I need water and Snickers....NOW!" much better! :)

Aunt Laura and I!

After the race, we drove to Mt. Vernon to celebrate Mother's day with the one and only Linda Lou Who. About Marysville something started burning on my back. I lifted up my shirt and told AA to figure out what in the H-E-Double hockeysticks was going on! A huge rash was forming from my sparts bra. This has never happened before so I didn't know what to do. The salt from my sweat that was now dried onto my skin was rubbing in it as well. Let me tell you the joy I felt at that moment...NOT! Once I got to the farm I took a shower. As I stripped down I realized the rash was on my front too, right girls. I decided for the sake of... well everything I wouldn't take a picture of that. My shower was so painful I got out as soon as I could. It feels better today. And you know what this means?? I AM GOING SHOPPING FOR A NEW SPORTS BRA! WAHOOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment