Monday, February 7, 2011

Day 6. Jaded beauty. Has the world's definition of beauty ever jaded you?

Today, one of the first things I read was this. It made me think about this weekend and how much complaining I did. Ugh...so much complaining, when I should have been so thankful. After I read the post I looked up Phil 2: 14-15:

Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe. (NIV).

Wow, what a great reminder and what I call...."Jesus slap in the face." So today NO COMPLAINING! No matter what...NO MATTER WHAT I tell ya! Pick up the challenge, and if you are like me, it will be harder then you think. I actually think I already complained today, so I am starting over. I love do-overs!

Okay, on to today's question... Has the world's definition of beauty jaded you?

Without question or doubt in my mind the answer is YES! Without complaining I am going to try to explain why. As a woman, or man, for that matter, you cannot go anywhere without there being an on slot of women everywhere. These women are what the wold calls "attractive", thin (too thin probably), long blowing hair, perfect face, not one inch of fat, perfect teeth and always without clothes on. Hmmm....day after day of seeing that I am not sure how any one's view of beauty could not be jaded. The world makes us scared to get old or gosh forbid have the freaking piece of cake that could OH NO put a pound on the scale (by the way...if you eat one piece of cake it will NOT add one pound to the scale...so eat the cake!). The world's view makes me want to be 10 pounds thinner, for my love handles to go away, to have thicker hair, for my right tooth to not be crooked and to not feel like I have to makeup on. I have struggled with my height, weight and many other things. But within the last couple years, God has opened my eyes to see how He made my body. I have knees that can bend to pray, I have legs that can run a marathon, I have a heart for the world, I have long arms that can reach almost anything and I am tall enough to not lose any of my friends when we are out. My struggle with jaded beauty happens everyday and I suspect it won't ever completely go away.
But what I do know is that beauty is so much bigger then what the world says is beautiful. I am so thankful for Proverbs 31. It reminds me what true, God thought out and thoughtful beauty is. Thank you Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment